Monday, December 10, 2007

Food&Beverage_Ah Leng Char Koay Teow

Famous Ah Leng Char Koay Teow Penang

Fried Koay Teow a.k.a Char Koay Teow is one of the best hawker delicacies in Penang. Penang is famous for its Char Koay Teow. You can easily spot a Char Koay Teow stall in any coffee shop, hawker center and also food court in Penang. It can be consider as a MUST EAT category for tourist and most of them would love it. Although I am born in Penang but I must admit that I am not a fan of Char Koay Teow. I didnt specifically like it or dislike it.

A lot of people came to Penang and wanted to try good and nice Char Koay Teow. There are so many stalls in Penang but which one is the best? If you ask a local people, mostly they will tell you Lorong Selamat, Sister Char Koay Teow or Ah Leng Char Koay Teow. I didnt like Lorong Selamat Char Koay Teow because of the stall owner attitude. The Aunty is so damn snobbish and damn LANSI. Damn it !!!

If you would want to have good Char Koay Teow, I would suggest you to Famous Ah Leng Char Koay Teow. Recently, Fly fm just awarded Ah Leng as the best Char Koay Teow in Malaysia. The stall is located opposite Honolulu Caf 頷 hich previously is Federal Cinema (Lian Bang Cinema). The stalls open from morning till afternoon around 2.30pm. I was there on the last weekend and I would say I enjoy it very much.

When ordering the uncle normally will ask you do you want a normal one or a special one? The special one cost RM8, but trust me is worth it. The special Char Koay Teow had additional big prawns and mantis prawn (Lai Niu Ha). To my understanding Ah Leng is the only one that had mantis in Char Koay Teow.

The Koay Teow are fried together with other ingredients to a perfect level. The Koay Teow, prawns and mantis are just nice, not over fried. You still can feel the juiciness and the crispy of the prawn. From the picture you can see that the prawn is really in XL size. The prawn is really mouthwatering and together with the koay teow it was just perfect. Ah Leng Char Koay Teow tasted very well because of mantis was added into it. The sweetness of the mantis had gone into the koay teow itself. When I order, I had asked for more chili to be added in, I love spicy food. I myself had eaten two plates and I really enjoy it very much.

Overall, I did enjoy my lunch very much over here. Although I dare not say that it was the best Char Koay Teow in Malaysia, but I would say it was one of the best in Penang. If you are in Penang, I highly recommend that you should try Ah Leng Char Koay Teow. It was a little expensive (RM 8) but to me it is worth because of the huge portion of prawn and mantis. I would definitely go back for it and will introduce to my outstation friends. Famous Ah Leng Char Koay Teow, yummy !!!!

Makan King's ratings = 8.75 out of 10
Click >> Location Map <<

Photos: